Ingrid Hughes was born in London in 1945. She grew up in Greece, Saigon, and Singapore, as well as the United States. Since she was twenty she has lived in New York, where she brought up two children and now teaches English to immigrants and native New Yorkers at the City University of New York. Her poems and stories have appeared in magazines like Lilith, West Branch, and the Massachusetts Review.

Ingrid Hughes

Seeking My Country

Last night I paced in a colonial mansion,
the wood floors echoing vacantly.
Of course, my parents were there,
though it wasn’t clear who was in power.
Then in another country I was in bed,
someone was holding out a map,
like a fancy flag or a decorated cake.
Probably it held the answers to all my questions.

But I woke to a messy kitchen and no coffee.
My husband went out for it.
My daughter called; she says she’s Nicaragua,
going forward despite obstacles. I’d go
for Haiti, I said, now that Duvalier’s gone.
Mom, I have my reasons, she said.

My parents are coming, I’ll have to make dinner,
though I’ll be inscrutable as the cake.

You would think you could tell your parents
who you are after forty years, two grown children,
and a fortune in psychotherapy. But they come to visit,
upholstered in their assumptions, drab raincoats
that last forever, and what do you do?
Serve the blandest food you can
and sit it out irritably. What if you said,
Look, I have sex at night.

Instead I dwindle on the couch, muttering dumb responses.
They get bigger and bigger.
My father resembles Captain Hook,
my mother a sad, Victorian Mrs. Grimsby.
I can’t wait to get back into bed,
and holding on to my husband’s warm ribs,
drop back into the dark underground.